While I love to eat good food, rarely, if ever, am I inspired to make it myself. I usually depend on Fo or my friend Whitney for the making of the delicious culinary treats. Today was a rare exception. I decided to take a break from the rather tedious and boring tasks which comprise my current work and fill the hours of this rainy and cold day with reading and sleeping and doing more than a little lounging. As dinner hour approach and my mom whisked off to some meeting with the words "pancakes and eggs for dinner" as she went out the door, I decided I didn't want pancakes for dinner (no offense Jules). My mind was taken to a recipe Sars sent me via email and as my thoughts clung to the word "easy" she included in the subject title of that email, I was sold. (Here's a shout out to Sars! I have been a vegetarian since about January and Sarah has always been great at keeping an eye out for great vegetarian recipes, so thanks you lil!) Anyway, back to my story. I made my way to my beloved Maceys and went up and down the isles collecting the needed ingredients. As much as I love Macey's , it failed me a bit today. Macey's does not carry millet and as such, I had to make one more stop at the natural food store Good Earth to pick up the necessary grain. I brought my ingredients home and made this de-lish salad. I heart salads because all you gotta do is cut everything up and toss it into a bowl and whip up a little dressing and you're done! Here's the recipe and of course, I had to document that I actually made it. I decided to serve it on a wheat tortilla and it was great. You'll definitely get your vegetables in with recipe, plus lots of protein with the beans, and it's really easy and really good. You should definitely try it!
Black Bean and Millet Salad Recipe #146049
Millet a wonderful grain,that most think of as bird food. Millet is highly nutritious, non-glutinous and like buckwheat and quinoa, is not an acid forming food so is soothing and easy to digest. In fact, it is considered to be one of the least allergenic and most digestible grains available and it is a warming grain so will help to heat the body in cold or rainy seasons and climates. Millet is mildly sweet, nut-like flavor and contains many beneficial nutrients. It is nearly 15% protein, contains high amounts of fiber, B-complex vitamins including niacin, thiamin, and riboflavin, the essential amino acid methionine, lecithin, and some vitamin E. It is high in the minerals iron, magnesium, phosphorous, and potassium. So eat your millet! The seeds are also rich in phytochemicals, including Phytic acid, which is believed to lower cholesterol, and Phytate, which is associated with reduced cancer risk.
35 min | 5 min prep | SERVES 6
| 1 | cup millet, rinsed uncooked | |
| 2 1/2-3 | cups water | |
| 2 | cups canned black beans | |
| 2 | large tomatoes, chopped | |
| 1 | small red bell pepper, diced | |
| 1 | medium cucumber, seeds removed and diced | |
| 1 | medium onion, diced | |
| chopped parsley (optional) | ||
| 0 | chopped cilantro, to taste (optional) | |
Dressing | ||
| 1/3 | cup water | |
| 3 | tablespoons lemon juice | |
| 1 | tablespoon balsamic vinegar | |
| 2 | teaspoons garlic, minced | |
| 1 | teaspoon salt | |
| 1/8 | teaspoon cayenne pepper | |
| 1/4 | teaspoon black pepper | |
| 1 | teaspoon cumin | |
1. Cook the millet in 3 cups of water until water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Fluff with fork and allow to steam and cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine millet, black beans, tomatoes, pepper, cucumber and onion.
3. Mix all dressing ingredients until well blended and pour over the salad, tossing to blend.
4. Cover and refrigerate until the salad is well chilled.
5. Serve on lettuce leaves or stuff into pita bread or wrap in a tortilla.
*I was too impatient to wait for it to be "well chilled" and it was still great.

3 comments:
I'm so glad that Jules has raised such independent and self-sufficient kids. My kids would have had cereal for dinner! Say 'hi' to Jules for me!!
although i'm somewhat apprehensive of the term "bird food" being included in any description of something i'm about to eat myself, it looks really great!
supports my belief that nearly every good thing has cumin in it... I'll have to give it a whirl.
Post a Comment