Thursday, March 13, 2008

Pensées...

#1: Tonight was the French Club's annual "Soirée de Fromage", a.k.a. lots of cheese and bread and "wine" (grape juice, of course). I would have packed in more cheese than I did, but my tummy still isn't back to its I-can-digest-anything self. Though I did wake up hungry this morning, which is the first time that's happened in about 4 days. Anyway... enough description of my digestive habits. Back to Cheese Night.... Sigh... it makes me want to go to France even more. I love French. I love the language, the food (granted I haven't tried any raw brains of various animals), and the culture, from what I know of it, even though I don't agree with everything France does politically. But it's hard to REALLY love French-ness when you have only learned about it in books and had people tell you what it was like. I want to experience it. That's it, I have to get to France. The "Send Kirsten to France Fund" is hereby open. Any donations are greatly appreciated. :)

#2: Professors scare me. A lot. I know they're perfectly nice and even great people, but their academic superiority is so intimidating! Especially my French professors, probably because I feel so uncomfortable with my French abilities. Today I had to turn in a paper for my French Literary Theory class and my professor thought of this great idea that rather than just handing him the paper to grade in the confines of his own office or home, he would make us sign up for interviews and he would grade our papers right in front of us. Can you spell TORTURE?! So here I am, sitting across from one of the greatest French medievalists in the country and he's reading my rather elementary paper on the literary analysis of Alma 43-44, marking all my grammatical mistakes, my lack of thought, and I am just wondering more and more what in the name of sin I'm doing in this major. But of course, it ended up alright, I got an A on my paper, but still. Professors just scare me. End of story. *One should note that my professor is extremely nice and gives constructive criticism without the slightest hint of disdain for his simple minded student (me).*

#3: So the academic struggle continues between what I love (like French and Political Science) and what I'm really good at (watching Sportscenter and drinking Mountain Dew). As I've said before, I love learning about stuff, but unlike my older siblings, it does not really come naturally to me. My older siblings are naturally brilliant but I must study for hours and hours for tests to do well. I am not suggesting that my older siblings do not work hard, because they do, but there are some people who are just smart. Their vocabulary is amazing, they kick my butt at trivial pursuit, and they talk of people like Nietzsche and Heidegger like they were their next-door neighbors while I'm still trying to sound out "phenomenology". But hey, if you wanna talk about the #1 play from Sportscenter the night before or who's going to win the NCAA championship, I'm your girl. Am I complaining? No. Believe me, I've come to accept this fact of my life after many years of following in my brother's and sisters' academic footsteps. But occasionally I just question what I'm doing in the academic world because I don't feel adequate for it, even though it's what I love, along with Sportscenter and rugby of course. :) That's all.

#4: Pretty crazy about the ex New York Governor Eliot Spitzer. Hearing stories such as these certainly shakes my faith in politicians, Republicans and Democrats alike. I guess it's good he at least had the decency to resign.... I can't wait to go to the polls and try and elect people who are decent, if there are any of them left in the realm of politics. I sure would like to believe they're still out there.

Anyway, there you have it... some of my more comprehensible thoughts of today. I'm off to read.

1 comment:

Zillah said...

sorry i didn't catch all the grammar stuff. i always get burned on it myself. and your paper was really good!

also, i think that you overestimate me, at least, and underestimate yourself. you're definitely underestimating how much i studied for stuff...when i was an undergrad and took real classes. most days i spent around 10 hours in the libes. i was the same way in high school.

you're brilliant, kee. and you can do sports. i wish that i were like you. i can't even walk down the sidewalk without falling. it's not fair that you came where you did in the whole order of things, and i think that it clouds your judgment of just how damn smart you are. and not only are you smart, you both do and succeed at what you want. AND you kick rugby trash!